Monday, March 15, 2010

Blindfold Chess

The Amber blindfold/rapid chess tournament has just started featuring a number of the top chess players in the world. Although not a proper rated event, the players still want to do well. I am going for the wonder kid Magnus Carlsen, although got off to a horrible start (0/2) he got back on track with (2/2) in the second round.

Blindfold chess is really hard. The players get a blank board, and they use the mouse to click the sqaures where the pieces move to and from. The opponent then sees which piece moved from one square to the next. So you really have to remember on which squares all of the pieces are. I once played both of my brothers where I was blindfolded and they were not. While I lost to my brother who plays chess regularly, I am happy to boast that I actually beat my other brother. :)

Some grandmaster chess players also play simultaneous blondfold chess. So the grandmaster (who is blindfolded) plays like 5 players who can see the board. I have seen grandmasters play 3 people (who are better than me) and beat all 3 players! Now that is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment