Wednesday, March 10, 2010

ANU Masters Round 5

OK - so tonight I had to play the current (i.e. crowned two days ago) ACT Chess champion in the ANU Masters tournament. His name is Andrey Bliznyuk. I have never beaten him in a rated game (I have beaten him before in a lightning game). The last time we played I turned a clear win into a draw into a loss. So I was hoping to do better tonight.

I was black so I was at a disadvantage from the start. My opening was pretty ordinary, but I sacrificed a pawn for a good attack down the queenside where he had castled. I was winning at one point but after a few inaccurate moves I had the opportunity to swap off into an endgame which may have been slightly better for me. But I thought I was still winning and played what I thought was a good move. However, Andrey played a few really good tactics that I did not even consider and a few moves later my position was lost.

So I did not win, but I actually really enjoyed the game. So far in this tournament I am on a dismall 1.5/5.0 but I have found this tournament really fun. I am hoping to win my next 4 games, which is a good possibility because all of my opponents are rated below me.

No comments:

Post a Comment