Monday, February 8, 2010

Melbourne Part 1 - Tennis Tennis Tennis

So I thought that I would break down the Melbourne trip into two parts. First the tennis and then the clubbing. It may take me a couple of weeks but I will eventually catch up to the present (February).

We bought the cheap tickets for the first two days of the Aus Open tennis. Rod Laver on the Wednesday night and then a day pass on the Thursday. We thought the day pass would be good because the top players would still be playing on the outside courts during the first week (because there are too many good players left for them all to play on the main courts).

We were Super lucky with the Rod Laver ticket!!! Number 5 (I think) in the world Elena Dementieve vs former number one Justine Henin. I think the first game alone took 15 mins!! Epic. Two long sets later of sheer brilliance by Henin and she was through 7-6 7-5 from memory. She ended up the tournament runner up to Serena Williams so it was an awesome second round match to go to. I think that she and Federer have similar styles - not sheer power but a perfect one handed backhand and good precision.

The next match was Tomic vs Cilic which went to 5 sets. Bad for the Aussie who lost, but I think Cilic made the semis in the end. So for Tomic to take him to 5 sets shows that the 17 year old may be one to watch in the future. I think it finished around 2pm and we did not get home until 3. We tried to change seats halfway through the match once all the corporate people left but the stupid grounds people moved us back - even though like 10 rows in from of us were all empty!

Day 2 was more relaxed. We got to see some good names including Haas, Gonzales, Lubicic, Kuznetzova, Azerenka up close. We then stayed and watched the big screen for Hewitt and Dellacqua (sorry about spelling mistakes).

Corin was here the second day and while we watched the big screen we had a whole bunch of people come over and say how much they loved Beauty and the Geek. My friends who were down for the tennis with me had never seen the 'famous celebrity treatment' that we sometimes get so they thought it was hillarious!! They all see me for the Jeremy that I always have been so they were a bit shocked at my 'celebrity' status. However, my friends keep me very well grounded which I am extremely grateful for.

Next day and Corin picked me up on his Scooter for the tennis rematch of the century. BTW - scooters are awesome, easy parking, cheap and low petrol costs. I may need to get me one. So the tennis was on clay - my least favourite surface. I thought Corin would have the advantage. It was just as close as last time in terms of rallies etc but I managed to pull through 6-4 6-7 6-2 6-3 from memory. (Correct me if I am wrong Corin). So I am now the official Wimbledon and French Open 'Geek' champion (grass and clay). So now we just need the two hard court matches for the Aus and US open titls. Maybe I could do what Federer could not - win all four titles at the same time. But I am sure Corin may have a say in it ;)

So that is all the tennis updates. Let me know if you want any more details in the comments section. Up next will be all the clubbing gos

4 comments:

  1. jeremy, id honestly like to see the standard at which you and corin play, coz i play myself, like comp and everything, and have been for a long time, i was looking to go pro for a while there. so next time u play set up a video camera or something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Plazzza, we will! I have a video camera so I will set it up next time. But you may be a little disapointed, especially if you were looking to go pro. We are nowhere near that level, but we can have some really good rallies.

    Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahaha, well after seeing the episode where you guys played tennis, u were all shocking!! nah mate im just curious, tennis is a sport that can be played by all, thats why it's so popular, because it doesn't necessarily have to be competitive, but it does feel good when u slam an ace down the T at 180km/h lol. so yea if u guys practice your game will grow, any practice is good practice :) and even if ur standard isn't very good, it doesn't matter, it's all in good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as I can beat Corin I am happy :)

    ReplyDelete